B.O.N has a proud heritage spanning more than 40 years. We are one of the leading producers of pharmaceutical grade eucalyptus oil in the world and we supply a number of large international flavour & fragrance houses. We also manufacture a range of personal care products under our B.O.N Label. These products are formulated to cater for the growing consumer trend towards NATURAL products, which have proven benefits. Even though we focus on high quality natural raw materials our products remain affordable, thereby offering our customers good value for money. We have numerous testimonials from our satisfied customers confirming that our products add value to their lives.
Founded in: 1972
Headquarters: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Number of production sites: 2
Number of employees: 150
Our mission is to develop and manufacture premium products, which are natural, have proven benefit, and retail at affordable prices.
Environment & Sustainability
B.O.N strives to be as environmentally friendly as possible and in this regard has achieved the following:
- Our essential oils are produced from managed plantation sources and are therefore sustainable and renewable;
- No harvesting from wild stands is permitted;
- Our essential oils are extracted by steam distillation – no harmful chemicals are used in our production processes;
- The leaf material used to extract the essential oils is dried and used as a “green fuel” for production purposes;
- In addition to using the “waste leaf” as a green fuel it also converted into a sterile, environmentally friendly mulch, which is used for pet bedding and gardening;
- In the production of refined eucalyptus oil, we obtain a terpene based by-product, which is sold as a “bio-fuel”, helping other businesses to reduce their own carbon footprints.
B.O.N is committed to outstanding quality and product safety. To achieve these objectives we have designed policies and procedures to ensure “good manufacturing practices” are applied throughout the organisation. All of our finished products are subjected to strict quality control procedures and all new products undergo independent testing.
Black Economic Empowerment & Job Creation
B.O.N has created employment for over 150 previously disadvantaged individuals and our employee profile reflects this:
- More than 95% of our employees are from black communities; and
- More than 50% of the workforce is female.
In addition to this job creation we have outsourced all of our harvesting operations to Kusasa Harvesting CC, which is 100% owned by our business partner, Mr Siphiwe Kunene.
B.O.N is classified as a Level 3 contributor (110% complaint) in terms of Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment as defined by the Department of Trade and Industry.
Health & Safety
Occupational health and safety forms a key priority for senior management. We view every incident as avoidable and when accidents do occur they are carefully analysed and documented to ensure that they do not reoccur. Training plays a vital role in the avoidance of accidents and regular safety talks are conducted throughout the business.